BossArea.com is now part of GuitarLessons.org! All the Boss pedals you love are still here, along with expert reviews of electric guitars, amps, and more.
The PS-5 combines a Pitch Shifter with a Harmonizer in the same pedal. There are 5 different modes. Pitch Shifter, Harmonist, Detune, T.Arm and Flutter.
Table of Contents
Pitch Shifter Mode
In the Pitch Shifter mode the output can be shifted up or down as much as two octaves. Use the PITCH knob to select the desired degree of pitch shift to plus or minus 1, 2, 5, 7, 12, or 24 half steps. Use the BALANCE knob to adjust the balance between the effect and the direct sound.
The Harmonist mode is only for single notes and will not work with chords. It creates harmonies based on the input sound. Make sure the guitar is in tune and tunes to reference pitch 440Hz before using the Harmonist mode. Set the HR.KEY. knob to the key of the song being played. Set the PITCH control to plus or minus 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 1 octave or 2 octaves. Ajdust the balance between direct sound and the effect with BALANCE.
Detune, T.Arm and Flutter
Detune will add an extra sound slightly pitch shifted to the original sound. Set the PITCH control to the degree of shift desired. The T.ARM mode emulates a tremolo arm and will drop or raise the sound to the pitch set with the PITCH control. Press the pedal to activate the T.ARM effect, release the pedal to return the sound to the normal pitch. The Flutter mode adds quick pitch vibrato to the input sound when the pedal is pressed. This emulates someone using the vibrato arm on a guitar.
- Controls: Balance, Delay Time/Speed, 12-way H.R. Key switch, 12-way Pitch switch, 5-way Mode switch
- Connectors: Input, Outputs (A/MONO, B), AC Adaptor
- Current Draw: 50 mA (DC 9V)
- Weight: 420g / 15 oz (including battery)
- A/D Conversion: 24-bit Delta-Sigma modulation (AF Method)
- D/A Conversion: 20-bit Delta-Sigma modulation (AF Method)
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz
- Dynamic Range: 115 dBm or greater (Direct), 98 dBm or greater (Effect)
- Nominal Input Level: -20dBm
- Input Impedance: 1MOhm
- Nominal Output Level: -20dBm
- Output Impedance: 1kOhm
- Recommended AC Adaptor: PSA Series
- Dark Gray – Made In Taiwan
The PS-5 was sold from October 1999 to present.