BossArea.com is now part of GuitarLessons.org! All the Boss pedals you love are still here, along with expert reviews of electric guitars, amps, and more.
Since the FZ-3 was discontinued 1999 there hasn’t been a Fuzz pedal in the Boss line up. This has been rectified by the 2007 release FZ-5 Fuzz. The FZ-5 is however very different from its predecessor. Whereas the FZ-3 didn’t have any integrated circuits, the FZ-5 is using COSM modelling which means most of the signal processing occurs within an integrated circuit.
The FZ-5 has a mode knob with 3 different settings: F, M and O. These 3 settings correspond to COSM emulations of the Dallas Arbiter Fuzzface, Maestro FZ-1A and Roger Mayer Octavia respectively. It does not emulate the FZ-2 or FZ-3 so if you’re looking for the fuzz tone these produced you will need to look into the used pedal market.
- Controls: Level, 3-way mode selector, Fuzz
- Connectors: Input, Output, AC Adaptor
- Current Draw: 36 mA (DC 9V)
- Weight: 400g / 15 oz.
- Nominal Input Level: -20dBu
- Input Impedance: 1MOhm
- Nominal Output Level: -20dBu
- Output Impedance: 1kOhm
- Recommended Load Impedance: 10kOhm or greater
- Recommended AC Adaptor: PSA Series
The FZ-5 was sold from January 2007 to present.