BossArea.com is now part of GuitarLessons.org! All the Boss pedals you love are still here, along with expert reviews of electric guitars, amps, and more.
With the availability of slimmer slide potentiometers, the GE-7 was released 1981. It’s got the same frequency bands as the GE-6 as well as one additional one at 6.4kHz. There is also a level control that you can use to set the difference of level between on and off mode for the pedal.
Boss Advertisement text (Internet, 2001):
Provides seven bands of equalization ranging from 100 Hz to 6.4kHz – ideal for guitar. A boost/cut of +/-15dB per band gives you complete control over your sound and helps eliminate unwanted feedback, particularly when connected after a distortion effect.
Boss Guitar Effects Guide Book vol.9 (1993):
The GE-7 has seven bands ranging from 100Hz to 6.4kHz, ideal for guitar sounds, with boost/cut of +/- 15dB per band. This lets you completely control your sound and eliminate unwanted feedback, particularly when connected after a distortion effect.
Using the GE-7
- For sharp rhythm sounds: Cut the middle frequency bands around 800Hz and boost at 1.6kHz (Fig 1: 100Hz -5, 200Hz +5, 400Hz +0, 800Hz -5, 1.6kHz +10, 3.2kHz +5, 6.4kHz +0, Level +0)
- For powerful guitar solos: Boost the middle frequency bands slightly and connect the unit after distortion and overdrive. Set the LEVEL control a bit higher than normal. (Fig 2: 100Hz +0, 200Hz +5, 400Hz +10, 800Hz +8, 1.6kHz +7, 3.2kHz +5, 6.4kHz +0, Level +3)
- For a metal sound: Cut the middle band around 800Hz and boost the lower and higher frequency bands. Place the GE-7 after the distortion or over drive unit. (Fig 3: 100Hz +10, 200Hz +10, 400Hz +0, 800Hz -5, 1.6kHz +0, 3.2kHz +10, 6.4kHz +5, Level +0)
- Controls: 7 Band Graphic Equalizer + level control
- Connectors: Input, Output, AC Adaptor
- Current Draw: 7 mA (DC 9V)
- Weight: 450g. (1lb.)
- Equalizer: 100 Hz, 200 Hz, 400 Hz, 800 Hz, 1.6 kHz, 3.2 kHz, 6.4 kHz
- Level Control: +/-15 dB per band
- Recommended AC Adaptor: ACA or PSA Series (depending on production year)
- Black – Made In Japan
- Black – Made In Taiwan
- Silver – Made In Taiwan
The GE-7 was sold from July 1981 to present.