The DC-3 is the successor of the Dimension C (DC-2) pedal but it’s still quite different. The DC-3 is a digital device while the DC-2 was an analog pedal. The DC-3 doesn’t have the presets of the DC-2 but instead you can adjust the sound with the controls common to the other Boss chorus pedals.
Table of Contents
- The name of the DC-3 was changed to “Digital Space-D” on later versions. The Digital Space-D was only sold in Japan
Boss Pocket Dictionary vol.6 (1989):
The DC-3 Digital Dimension is a new dimension effects unit which is totally digital, giving you clear, high quality dimensional sounds with perfect two-phase synchronization based on digital modulation. With chorus effects superior to those produced by conventional chorus effects, and which even surpass professional rack-mount units, this fully digital dimension unit provides 4 manual setting controls which let you create and custom-tailor over-whelmingly expansive effects with extremely accurate signal response.
Using the DC-3
- Unlike chorus effects, which and vibrato as you increase the amount of effect on the signal, the DC-3’s Digital dimension effect is spacious and natural-sounding with very little wavering, resulting in a more accurate, expansive feel.
- A wide range of dimension effects can be achieved by adjusting the Effect Level, Equalizer, Rate and Depth controls. For chorus effects, change the balance for Rate and Depth.
- Fig. 1 (E.Level 6, EQ 4, Rate 4, Depth 4) shows the setting for the most often used dimension sound, which enhances both solo and rhythm playing.
- The setting in Fig. 2 (E.Level 8, EQ 5, Rate 0, Depth 8) adds distortion, resulting in the thick chorus-type sound or the effect obtained using a harmonizer. This setting is ideal for fattening up a rhythm guitar part over a medium-tempo hard rock piece.
- Please note that the DC-3 must be set after distortion or overdrive effects near the end of the effects chain (like the chorus unit and volume pedal).
- Controls: E. Level, Eq, Rate, Depth
- Connectors: Input, Output A, Output B, AC Adaptor
- Current Draw: 65 mA (DC 9V)
- Input Impedance: 1Mohm
- Residual Noise Level: Less than -100dBm (IHF-A)
- Recommended Load Impedance: 10kOhm or greater
- Sampling rate: 50kHz
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz (+1/-3 dB)
- Recommended AC Adaptor: PSA Series
- Blue – Made In Japan
- Green – Made In Japan
The DC-3 was sold from March 1988 to August 1993.