Table of Contents
PS-2 Digital Pitch Shifter/Delay
The PS-2 can shift up and down one octave and everything in between. Its got up to 2 seconds of delay time. There are 6 different modes:
- Up to 125 ms delay
- Up to 500 ms delay
- Up to 2 seconds delay
- Set pitch shift manually
- +1 octave
- -1 octave
Boss Pocket Dictionary vol.6 (1989):
The PS-2 Digital Pitch Shifter/Delay is a multiple effects unit incorporating both a digital pitch shifter and digital delay into one compact case. The PS-2’s ultra-high speed pitch shifting circuit virtually eliminates any undesired timing response and signal quality differences between the source sound and the pitch-shifted or delayed sounds. It adds quality pitch-shifted chorus, octave, and a variety of harmony effects to the source signal, and confirmation of the degree of pitch-shift is available through the Tuner Out jack by attaching a suitable chromatic tuner like the TU-12.
Using the PS-2
- The PS-2 allows pitch-shifting over the full range from -1 to +1 octave for creating effects from natural-sounding chorus to harmony as in playing octaves or twin guitars
- Used for a delay effect, the PS-2 will provide anything from a short delay of 30ms up to a long maximum delay of 2 seconds.
- A 12-string guitar effect is created by using the pitch-shifted chorus effect when playing arpeggios. Fig. 1 (Balance 5, F.Back 0, Fine/Manual 0-10, Mode 6) shows how to obtain a really thick sound, by mixing the direct sound with a -1 octave pitch setting For a thicker and more radical effect, set the feedback control to a higher setting when using a distortion effect on the source signal.
- Get more metallic sound using the +1 octave setting to add a sharper edge to your playing.
- When set to harmonize a 4th as in Fig. 2 (Balance 5, F.Back 0, Fine/Manual 4, Mode 3), the result is a thick, twin-lead effect which really fattens up single line solos.
- Controls: Balance (between effect in direct signal), Feedback (for amount of repeats, and very unique pitch shifting effects), Fine-Manual (for adjusting delay times and pitch) and Mode (for selecting any of the 6 modes).
- Connectors: Input, Output, Tuner Out (for plugging into a tuner), AC Adaptor
- Current Draw: 60 mA (DC 9V)
- Weight: 460g/1.01 lbs.
- Input Impedance: 1Mohm
- Residual Noise Level: -90dBm (IHF-A)
- Recommended Load Impedance: 10kOhm or greater
- Delay Time: 30ms to 2000ms
- Frequency Response: 10Hz to 30kHz, +1/-3dB (Direct)
- Recommended AC Adaptor: PSA Series
- Blue – Made In Japan
- Blue – Made In Taiwan
The PS-2 was sold from October 1987 to March 1994.